Re: We need to define a path for Debian to climate neutrality

Davide Prina <davide.prina@gmail.com> writes:

> So, I think that if Debian must think about climate change, probably it
> must be focused on energy efficiency to gain more results.

I agree that energy efficiency is probably the place where we could most
directly contribute as a project while focusing on the things that we're
all good at.  (I'm not discounting also talking about how we manage
conferences and travel, but that's more "we exist in the world" territory
rather than the core focus of the project.)

A somewhat tedious and not-sexy but possibly effective place that we could
focus is on ensuring modern power management features are correctly
enabled and working properly in Debian installations out of the box.  My
understanding is that Linux has gained quite a few facilities for reducing
power consumption, not all of them are automatic, and there are some
complex interactions with other system components such as the desktop
environment.  There may be some low-hanging fruit here that would help
Debian consume less power by default, or places where there is no one
right decision but we could provide a low-power option to users who want
it.

This also has the advantage that, whether or not the specific framing of
this thread is inspiring to a given Debian contributor, everyone wants
longer laptop battery life and lower power bills for their data centers.