We need to define a path for Debian to climate neutrality

Hi

it just occurred to me that despite the climate crisis about to
destroy us all we don't really have anything in place to monitor
and reduce our carbon emissions.

I believe we need to commit ourselves to reducing this, but I fear
the only way this could happen is via a general resolution amending
the constitution for climate goals, so it becomes binding. Though
some documents, like the machine usage policies can be amended by
the DSA team without any such complexities, and similarly other
delegated teams can be re-delegated if necessary, and money can
be allocated by the DPL to a climate impact study.

# Actions

Sponsors: When receiving sponsored resources like electricity, we
should inquire about the carbon footprint of those resources, and
what the sponsor's approach to environmental affairs is.

Budget: We need to determine our current CO2 emissions as a project,
and then define a roadmap to carbon neutrality by an acceptable date,
I think 2035 or 2040 are commonly referenced. This is likely to be
exponential. We should use project funds to hire an expert consulting
firm to do this for us.

Monitoring: Once we have determined our CO2 emissions and defined a
roadmap, we need to constantly monitor our CO2 emissions to make sure
we stay on target. I propose quarterly environmental impact reports.

Mindfulness: We should ensure that people are mindful of the resources
provided to us by sponsors, and their impact on the environment, and
encourage to reduce CO2 footprint. For example, people could be
encouraged to batch bug fixes into larger uploads rather than uploading
them immediately, use compression algorithms that emit less CO2.

# Things out of our control

I think individual travel to DebConf and similar events is somewhat
out of our control, as is the personal behavior of individual
submitters.
-
ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en