Re: We need to define a path for Debian to climate neutrality

On 13.04.22 17:29, Steffen Möller wrote:

On 13.04.22 17:01, Sandro Tosi wrote:
While I see no problem with the services of Debian to turn carbon
neutral, Debian should think of ways not to end here. What else
could we do?
please do not transform Debian in an activist project (i wont comment
on the carbon neutrality proposal). Debian has one goal: provide a
universal operating system. this is where it starts and this is where
it ends, and that's all the "else" that we can do.
You have a point. And I can agree that Debian should not do anything
that is not part of being an universal operating system.
I have seen more heated (pun intended) discussions on Debian's lists
than this one.
You're free to support all your passions, missions and projects
OUTSIDE of Debian. The Debian project is not your echo chamber for
your activism.

Let me rephrase this. What else can a universal operating system do for
climate neutrality?

Was hoping for some external input. To mind come:
 * monitoring systems (I know of a provider of professional wind
turbine monitoring systems that reside on the wind turbines and run Debian)
 * billing systems for community-organised shared resources

I presume that most software tools that ship with inverters, power walls
etc are just accessible via some web interface. Nothing too much for us
to do, I presume. But whenever there is an Open API etc we could
possible point to such a Debian-compatibility.

Cheers,

Steffen