Re: Working for Linux/Debian

Quoting Zayd (2021-08-06 00:30:58)
> How did you basically start learning or was it just a process of trial
> and error?

I did not attend any formal school or training courses, if that's what
you mean.

If you mean what drove me, then I have always felt that computers lacked
meaning unless they had some practical use in the real world.  I mean,
playing computer games as a kid was fun but didn't _produce_ anything.
And working as an intern at an advertising agency for a year, where my
job was basically to put out fires all the time, similarly wasn't
fullfilling for me (despite the huge payment I got).  I wanted my work
to stick - which lead me to work on education-related tools and semantic
web tools, and lead me to Debian and to maintaining packages for Debian.

If you mean which concrete types of work I did at the beginning when my
skills were far lower than my passion, then (as I wrote briefly in
5 years I mainly (from the top of my head) did...:

Proof-reading texts, photo refining, and desktop publishing for family
and friends.

Installing and tuning desktop systems for family and friends, and
consulting in best practices of doing backup and which tools to use for
which tasks. Later doing same for a small fee for friends-of-friends and
then strangers: My first source of income when I started my company.

Maintaining workstations, servers, and networking for a small
non-governmental organisation. Later doing same for small businesses,
charging a monthly fee for that (crucially *not* charging by the hour,
to shift attention from fighting fires to getting ahead of them): This
became my main source of income for 20 years.

Packaging .deb packages for stuff needed for above tasks but missing in
Debian - unofficially at first, until someone in Debian stumbled upon my
work online and encouraged me to join.  This work continued as mostly¹
volunteer work for 20 years, but made my paid work much much easier and
therefore (due to the subscription-based approach) more economic.  The
past few years I am directly paid by Purism to maintain packages
officially in Debian.

I don't know any "real" programming language like C or C++ or Rust.  My
scripting language of choice is Perl, and I also grok shell and make
(yes, that's a language).  For other languages I can juggle patches,
needed for the (far too many²) packages I maintain in Debian.

I live in Denmark, where monthly income is DKK 30.000 for a garbage man
and DKK 25.861 for a taxi driver, according to some³ sources:
https://www.dekra.dk/blog/lastbil/hvad-tjener-en-skraldemand
https://www.dekra.dk/blog/taxa/hvad-tjener-en-taxachauffoer

My accounting is at https://source.jones.dk/ledger/tree/data with usage
notes at https://source.redpill.dk/accounting/tree/USE.md

 - Jonas

¹ with rare exceptions, e.g. Canonical paying for speeding up the
packaging of a major new release of MoinMoin when Ubuntu started, and a
cryptocoin developer paying (in that obscure coin which later gained
significant value) for packaging a wallet for their coin.

² please get in touch if you want to help maintain some of them:
https://udd.debian.org/dmd/?email1=dr@jones.dk

³ When I tried to locate some sources written in english for this email,
I learned that numbers vary wildly.