Re: Working for Linux/Debian

That makes sense. For me I want to know everything I can and solve my own problems and do projects but I do think that I want to make something so that I can afford what I need and then also maybe help to support projects in the community. So I I have my interests and passions but also want to make some money. So I sort of want to do both. Just trying to manage that if that makes sense. So I basically like open source and Debian because of the freedom it offers but see them as both sort of existing. Idealism and ethics and money making so the best thing to do is maybe just to have a limit on business practices. And living and learning so if I gain more insight and find a better way then I’ll try and do that lol

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 17:29 Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> wrote:
Quoting Zayd (2021-08-05 21:26:03)
> That is really awesome and my mindset is similar. It’s just that there
> are sometimes cultural pressures and such so I’m just trying to figure
> out a way to pursue my passions, learn what I am interested in
> practically while making the money I need in the mean time. Awesome to
> have met someone that has a similar mindset and really inspiring to
> hear that you have been able to make it work. How did you go about
> building your knowledge?

Like Paul Wise also suggested you to do, I did a lot of volunteer work.
I also offered my services at a very low price until I grew confident
that I was worth more.

> I’ve just tried different things on Linux and completed An
> Introductory certification through the Linux foundation. I’m
> comfortable with the basics of how to operate Debian and other distros
> but want to learn more. I’m most comfortable with apt and Debian based
> systems at this point.

Training courses and certifications are nice, but experience is better:
Your future employer or client don't care if you learned your lessons at
a well-paid job or through volunteer work, but they do care if you have
_experience_ or only know theoretically how to solve a task.

> That is really helpful that you point out that you’re basically a
> freelancer and that you’ve been able to make it work. I wasn’t sure if
> that was possible and up to this point was assuming that you just had
> to work for a big company in order to make the money you need and then
> do various projects on the side.

Certainly possible, but not glamorous.  I do my hobby full-time, and
earn about half of the standard wage in my country for a taxi driver or
garbage man.

To me, money is nice but also a distraction: I strongly prefer the
freedom of working on things that I value and enjoy.

 - Jonas

 * Tlf.: +45 40843136  Website: http://dr.jones.dk/

 [x] quote me freely  [ ] ask before reusing  [ ] keep private