Re: Working for Linux/Debian

Quoting Zayd (2021-08-05 21:26:03)
> That is really awesome and my mindset is similar. It’s just that there
> are sometimes cultural pressures and such so I’m just trying to figure
> out a way to pursue my passions, learn what I am interested in
> practically while making the money I need in the mean time. Awesome to
> have met someone that has a similar mindset and really inspiring to
> hear that you have been able to make it work. How did you go about
> building your knowledge?

Like Paul Wise also suggested you to do, I did a lot of volunteer work.
I also offered my services at a very low price until I grew confident
that I was worth more.

> I’ve just tried different things on Linux and completed An
> Introductory certification through the Linux foundation. I’m
> comfortable with the basics of how to operate Debian and other distros
> but want to learn more. I’m most comfortable with apt and Debian based
> systems at this point.

Training courses and certifications are nice, but experience is better:
Your future employer or client don't care if you learned your lessons at
a well-paid job or through volunteer work, but they do care if you have
_experience_ or only know theoretically how to solve a task.

> That is really helpful that you point out that you’re basically a
> freelancer and that you’ve been able to make it work. I wasn’t sure if
> that was possible and up to this point was assuming that you just had
> to work for a big company in order to make the money you need and then
> do various projects on the side.

Certainly possible, but not glamorous.  I do my hobby full-time, and
earn about half of the standard wage in my country for a taxi driver or
garbage man.

To me, money is nice but also a distraction: I strongly prefer the
freedom of working on things that I value and enjoy.

 - Jonas