Re: Debian should not engage in politics and stay neutral [was: This is not the direction that will lead to hearing each other]

On 2021-04-09 14:11:11, Tiago Bortoletto Vaz wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 09, 2021 at 05:27:30PM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> [...]
> > I've joined Debian because of its technical excellence, and I'm staying
> > because I believe in software freedom. I am trying to force myself to
> > not have too many interference on the interactions I have with other DDs
> > because of political topics (and that, even though it itches a lot as I
> > really love to share my ideas). I very much would like other DDs to try
> > to do the same if possible. It would be great if we all agree that
> > Debian is *not* the place to have this kind of political debates. There
> > are other places to do that. Engage yourself in politics, if you want,
> > but outside of Debian. I will deeply respect it, and will enjoy talking
> > politics with you (I very much enjoy any political talks, and I do have
> > very strong opinions on some topics), but simply, outside of Debian is
> > better.

+1.

> > The DFSG and social contract are there so that there's one thing we must
> > agree on. I haven't signed up for one side of the political spectrum.
> > Please respect this.
>
> I don't see how it's not being respected. This is not a provocation, and I can
> be wrong. Where the project is forcing you to sign up for a political side? If
> it's about the GR, you have many options, including not to vote, or making your
> vote public to oppose the majority if your option doesn't win. Or signing as
> individual a letter of support, posting your neutral position in your blog etc.
> Or doing all that. Or doing nothing at all. I pretty much doubt that someone
> will ever consider a GR result as a single position shared by all DDs.

But how it is to be interpreted otherwise? How will someone external to
Debian know to interpret this fine line, and how can individual DDs not
be associated with *whatever* the result is?

I am with Thomas on this side. It's not about choice X vs choice Y, but
to a project-wide choice at all, whatever it is. Other people won't know
if I voted at all, or voted FD, or voted against the final result, or
for it.

regards,
iustin