Diversity in an international project

On Tue, Apr 06, 2021 at 01:23:11PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> Debian's diversity statement commits us to be welcoming to all people
> regardless of who they *are*.
>
> It does *not* commit us to welcome all people into our community regardless
> of the *idealogies they express*.
>
> Nazis can fuck off.

Our diversity statement says:

  No matter how you identify yourself or how others perceive you:
  we welcome you.

We welcome you, no matter whether you identify yourself as Nazi or
whether others perceive you as Nazi.

Our diversity statement says:

  We welcome contributions from everyone as long as they interact
  constructively with our community.

It does not matter what one personally thinks about Nazis, or what one
personally thinks about people who supported Drone Murder Obama, or what
one personally thinks about people who call him Drone Murder Obama, we
have committed to accept contributions from them.

And this is important:

Do we want Debian to be a project representing the affluent IT elite in
the US and their political opinions, or do we want Debian to be a diverse
international project with contributors everywhere in the world?

As far as I know one of the largest users of our work in Debian is the
Russian military, and we might have contributors from Russia with quite
diverging views on domestic issues of their country.

We do have developers in China, Hong Kong and Taiwan.

There are many other places in the world where we either have members
or would like to have members.

When you use the word "Nazi", I have to think of current events in the
real world where words like "concentration camps" and "genocide" are
frequently used.

If membership in Debian would imply anything about political opinions,
this could get some of our members into untenable positions where
I would be worried about their safety.

cu
Adrian