Re: Debian should not engage in politics and stay neutral [was: This is not the direction that will lead to hearing each other]

Le vendredi 09 avril 2021 à 17:27:30+0200, Thomas Goirand a écrit :
> On 4/7/21 7:27 PM, Sam Hartman wrote:
> >
> > I wasn't thrilled with Steve's message; I sent him what I hope are some
> > constructive comments privately.
> > Bringing up nazis is rarely going to  calm things down or promote
> > constructive discussion.
> > And yes, he did that.
> >
> > But Adrian!  You really doubled down on the tension.
> > I appreciate that you are frustrated and disagree strongly with some of
> > what Steve is saying.
> >
> > I hear that you would like to have a discussion on how our diversity
> > statement interacts with organizations people affiliatef with.
> >
> > Doubling down on the nazi thing isn't going to give us a constructive or
> > healthy discussion.
> > There are ways to have the discussion you are looking for that will be
> > more constructive and that will not promote quite so much of aflame war.
> >

> > It sounds like you aren't feeling heard.
> > The particular example you picked is only likely to escalate things so
> > that none of us are hearing each other.
> >
> > Please let us find a way to step back, listen to your concerns, but also
> > respect the other people involved.
> >

> To the contrary, I haven't found anything in Adrian's post aggressive,
> and very much, he is pointing at a topic we may want to address.
>
> It's been said that RMS current issue is his *personal* view on some
> topics, which aren't related to his work at FSF. One may agree with him
> or not, or find what he wrote unacceptable or not, disgusting or not.
> This isn't what I would like to discuss.
>
> The point is: is there some restrictions on political views that the
> Debian community/project would like to enforce? I've heard someone
> complaining that the Debian project hasn't made a statement about black
> live maters and George Floyd. Is it ok if I believe in Communist and
> strongly support the Chinese government, including the social
> engineering part? Am I allowed to be a Trump supporter, denying the
> climate change is man made?
>
> More disturbing things now... What if I'm working for NSA, and
> contribute to Debian so that the US government can spy even better on
> everyone? What if I'm working in Russia, and contribute to Debian for
> improving the army missile guidance system? Or if I'm contracted by the
> Chinese government so that they can use Debian to better track their
> citizens? Is all of that OK as a contribution to Debian?
>
> What if I were fighting against same sex marriage? Or if I was at the
> head of a company hiring people $1 per day to make shoes in Indonesia?
>
> My own view on this is *very* liberal. In my view, we should allow
> absolutely all of the above, without any restriction. Why? Simply
> because otherwise, it's impossible to draw the line and set reasonable
> limits, without having infinite flame wars in our lists, which distract
> us from our very important missing: being the best free operating
> system. BTW, what's the RC bugs count for Bullseye? :)

> [...]

There seem to be for me some confusion here.

It is not the same at all to accept people with different views and to
let them express these if they go against the Code of Conduct we voted.
(and even having stated that, I'd probably feel like asking for the
expulsion of any nazi if there was one here)

Apart from that, Debian is political by its mere existence, and
expressing some opinion on who does or does not help us to achieve our
goals is quite relevant.

The fact that you are not alone having this opinion doesn't mean it is
the most shared one.

You are free by maintaining the status quo by not paying attention to
other's political opinion.

Regards,

--
Pierre-Elliott Bécue
GPG: 9AE0 4D98 6400 E3B6 7528  F493 0D44 2664 1949 74E2