Re: [Summary] Discourse for Debian

Le Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 08:47:53AM -0700, Ross Vandegrift a écrit :

> Sorry for not speaking up, but I agreed with your concern.  I thought
> the summary overemphasized cons and dismissed the pros.

+1

I felt that the effort to summarise the pros was not as strong as for
the cons.  For insance:

  "easier moderation (for moderators)."  For me, this sounds like the
  problem to solve is to save the time of the moderators.  However (and
  I am not going to rehearse the arguments here), the Discourse platform
  proposes an entirely different moderation approach.

  "easier +1 for polls".  It is not just for polls and it is a +1 system
  that our mailing list system does not feature at all.  It is not just
  easier.

  "attract younger audience".  It is not about age.  It is about all
  people who are turned off by mailing lists, regardless when they were
  born.

I also felt that the vocabulary was biased, for instance with "supposed
to …" in the pros or "forces existing users to …" in the cons.

Altogether, the big missing point is the cons of mailing lists, which
are why we are intrested in testing Discourse.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,