Re: [Summary] Discourse for Debian

 ❦ 15 avril 2020 12:45 +01, Neil McGovern:

>> Would you be willing to list out which points it is from the given
>> "cons" category which you see as positives?
>
> I'd really rather not at this stage, as I'm already seemingly having to
> spend time talking about how Discourse is set up, rather than what I was
> trying to do. I don't want to end up in a big debate on where "requires
> account" or "distributed moderation based on trust levels" sits.
>
> The point of this Discourse instance is to try and see if there is
> interest in moving to it rather than smartlists for community
> discussions. If there is sufficient interest, we can then find a group
> of people who want to consider these tradeoffs and who are willing to
> help with the way categories are organised, for example.
>
> If there is sufficient pushback, I'll delete the instance, move on with
> my life, and conclude that no one in Debian can possibly try and
> innovate or do new things unless it is either:
> * 100% optional for people, or
> * made completely compatable with the old way of doing things
>
> Apologies if the frustration is showing, but hopefully you can see where
> this is coming from.

Many thanks for trying to push things forward!

For me, Discourse is not as pleasant as mailing list, but there was a
lot of efforts put into making mails almost as transparent as possible.
For me, it would be quite acceptable if quoting on the web interface
would be translated with the usual quoting mechanism (">") instead of
the markup used by discourse ("[quote]").

On the con list, I agree that requiring to signup is different on how we
manage our mailing lists, but it seems an acceptable tradeoff.

So, in summary, I would find quite acceptable to switch to Discourse
(and would likely contribute a patch for the quoting translation). It
would help fix some of the problems we have (notably moderation, but
also the policy "do not copy me unless I say so") and we may be able to
attract people who did not grow with mailing lists.

We have a long tradition on being unable to run any constructive debate
because we are unable to differentiate between a minority or a majority.
I did not follow the whole debate because it was mostly the same people
saying again and again the same things. A classic way in our mailing
lists to stall any debate.
--
Use self-identifying input.  Allow defaults.  Echo both on output.