Re: possibly exhausted ftp-masters (Re: Do we still value contributions?

Quoting Clint Adams (2019-12-28 21:20:03)
> On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 05:32:02PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > metadata file - without checking licensing of each and every _file_
> > which we *must* do (machine-readable or not).
>
> Why do you believe this to be true?

Beware that I say we must _check_ every file - not that we must _list_
every file in debian/copyright.

All that Debian distributes must be legal to distribute.

You may argue that you need not check e.g. if PNG files in your package
contain embedded non-free ICC profiles, but that just means that you
rely on ftpmasters to check it on your behalf.

You may argue that your upstream has already checked that for you.  I'd
call that a sloppy check, and there is a real risk that again you then
burden ftpmasters with digging out dirt because upstream has a different
view than Debian what is legally acceptable.

 - Jonas