Re: possibly exhausted ftp-masters (Re: Do we still value contributions?

Hello Thorsten,

On Thu 26 Dec 2019 at 04:30pm +01, Thorsten Alteholz wrote:

> Make the machine-readable copyright file mandatory.
> It is much easier to "parse" than just a bunch of copyright information.

The other side of this is that using that format tends to encourage
documenting a bunch of information about the source package which we
don't need to document, but which the ftp team member processing NEW is
still going to have to verify as correct.

So I'd like to append to your point: do take advantage of the
machine-readable copyright format for complex source packages, but don't
add more "Files:" stanzas than are strictly necessary.

For example,

    Files: *
    Copyright: (c) 1994 A. Developer
    License: GPL-2+

    Files: foo.js baz/bar.js
    Copyright: (c) 1995 Google
    License: GPL-2+

could be combined into

    Files: *
    Copyright: (c) 1994 A. Developer
     (c) 1995 Google
    License: GPL-2+

i.e. you generally only need separate stanzas when the license is
different, not simply because there are different coyright holders.  In
most cases you should should not need more stanzas than there are
different licenses.

--
Sean Whitton