Re: Do we still value contributions?

On Tue, Dec 24 2019, Pierre-Elliott Bécue wrote:

> Le mardi 24 décembre 2019 à 09:51:04-0600, John Goerzen a écrit:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I mean this post as a challenge, but not as blame.  I know many teams do
>> hard work that can be thankless, and my intent is not to blame them, but
>> to challenge us as a project to question our processes and attitudes.
>
> NEW is processed by hand by the FTP Team.
>
> The FTP Team is, as any other part of the project, constituted of
> volunteers who do the job on their free time.
>
> Maybe you should keep that in mind.

Hi Pierre-Elliot,

I fully agree, and in fact began my message with that acknowledgment.

Part of what I'm trying to raise is whether these processes are
sustainable.  I think the answer right now is no.  What are the answers?
They probably aren't easy; the review that is done for things in NEW is
important for the project from a legal and quality perspective.  Can we
automate it more?  Can we expand the set of people that do reviews?
(For instance, have more people able to do licensing reviews or quality
reviews even if they aren't able to do the other things the FTP team
does.)  Is there a more PR-like process we could adopt (which might
apply not just to NEW but also ongoing updates, which are often
unreviewed)?  Or are we as a project at a point where we can no longer
maintain these same up-front checks as we used to?

I am fully aware that we can't ask people doing a thankless job to "just
do more".  That won't work and is not what I was trying to suggest.

But at the same time, I feel that the project as a whole isn't really
taking this problem very seriously.

John