Re: possibly exhausted ftp-masters (Re: Do we still value contributions?

Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> writes:
> On December 28, 2019 2:30:54 PM UTC, Sean Whitton
>>For packages with simple copyright and licensing, there are useful
>>things you can do with a freeform copyright file which you can't do
>>with a machine-readable file.  See for example the contribution
>>information in the copyright files of src:dgit and src:mailscripts.
>
> Also, please consider the impact on new contributors.  This list of
> somewhat arcane policies and procedures that new contributors need to
> learn us already long.  Adding to it raises barriers to contributing.

Trying to get people involved into Debian, I see this completely
different: It is much simpler to tell people to basically fill out a
sheet with fields like "Files", "License", "Copyright" then to tell them
that they should "somehow" merge all licenses together into a single
copyright.

The machine readable form guides people to look into all individual
files and to document the copyright. The actual pain is not the format
but the need to *do* the review.

Best regards

Ole