Re: Do we still value contributions?

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 02:59:25PM +0100, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:

> So in my opinion the option we should implement is a (mostly) automated
> license check. There are various tools listed on the wiki page, but
> there are also commercial tools out there which do that task. Although I
> know it will sounds completely wrong in the ears of some of readers
> here, I think asking one of the companies if they'd sponsor their tools
> to examine the new queue sounds like a very good idea to me, if it helps
> the ftp team to be faster. At the same time we'll get hints to license
> violations from our upstreams...

Very long time ago I had a bold idea to formularize the license
checking, a somewhat repetitive process into a machine learning problem.
However, experience indicates that there are an amount of special cases
hard to be modeled in a math system. Plus, the NEW reviewing process is
not falt-tolerant, which definitely further increased the difficulty to
automate ftp-master's work with "artificial intelligence".

As a trainee, I ended up browsing every single file manually.