Re: Do we still value contributions?

On 12/26/19 4:48 AM, John Goerzen wrote:> That is a fantastic idea.  If
we could open up these reviews to let more> DDs participate, that would
be fantastic.  No doubt some of the tools at>
https://wiki.debian.org/CopyrightReviewTools could help people with> this.
tl;dr: automate this task to avoid mud-fights between DDs over license
questions.

While I'd appreciate to have a faster ftp/NEW process, I do not think
letting more people participate (as in: DDs not part of ftp-masters) is
a good idea. We've often seen mud-fights about the interpretation of
licenses, missing licenses, patents and whatever else.

Also we have the issue that if we let other people actually read trough
the source code, we might have distributed it already and in the same
time we might be violating licenses.

So in my opinion the option we should implement is a (mostly) automated
license check. There are various tools listed on the wiki page, but
there are also commercial tools out there which do that task. Although I
know it will sounds completely wrong in the ears of some of readers
here, I think asking one of the companies if they'd sponsor their tools
to examine the new queue sounds like a very good idea to me, if it helps
the ftp team to be faster. At the same time we'll get hints to license
violations from our upstreams...