Re: Do we still value contributions?

On Wed, Dec 25 2019, Jonathan Carter wrote:

> On 2019/12/24 20:08, John Goerzen wrote:
> <snip>
>> But at the same time, I feel that the project as a whole isn't really
>> taking this problem very seriously.
>
> That is true, probably mostly because many people don't really
> understand that there is a problem. The NEW queue waits are tough, but

Very good observation.  I didn't realize it myself until I had something
in NEW, which I haven't had for a very long time.

> I think many will agree with you that we should do better in all those
> areas, especially the NEW queue, but change is difficult and in itself
> takes time. In a commercial setting it would probably be easier to
> create incentives to motivate staff to do more review kind of work, but
> I suppose in Debian it's seen as somewhat unglamorous work and we don't
> have many methods to incentivise contributors.

Completely agreed.

> In particular I think it's important to support events like bug
> squashing parties because it's one of the few things that we can do, and
> encourage things like patch reviews, sponsoring and NEW queue reviews at
> these events and maybe even thank all the people who participate in
> these on a monthly basis in bits from Debian so that maybe this work can
> be highlighted more as something that we do value and might encourage
> more people to get involved there.

That is a fantastic idea.  If we could open up these reviews to let more
DDs participate, that would be fantastic.  No doubt some of the tools at
https://wiki.debian.org/CopyrightReviewTools could help people with
this.

John