Re: Do we still value contributions?

Le Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 02:59:25PM +0100, Bernd Zeimetz a écrit :

> While I'd appreciate to have a faster ftp/NEW process, I do not think
> letting more people participate (as in: DDs not part of ftp-masters) is
> a good idea. We've often seen mud-fights about the interpretation of
> licenses, missing licenses, patents and whatever else.

Hi Bernd and everybody,

my vision with the copyright reviews was to filter obvious issues in
packages before the FTP team spends time on them.  Thus, the focus
should be on facutal points such as finding obviously non-free files
(information to be sent to the maintainer, who can update or remove the
package from the NEW queue) or finding an obviously new license (useful
information for FTP masters, who can organise their work accordingly),
etc.

> Also we have the issue that if we let other people actually read trough
> the source code, we might have distributed it already and in the same
> time we might be violating licenses.

I understand that we need to be conservative on what is redistributed by
the FTP team.  But often the source package can also be found elsewhere
than in the NEW queue, such as on mentors.d.n, ...

> So in my opinion the option we should implement is a (mostly) automated
> license check.

Indeed.  Ideally, a bunch of tools should be run automatically on new
packages (by people willing to take the same amount of legal risk as the
mentors.d.n admins), so that anybody can report potential issues.

Have a nice day,

Charles

--
Charles Plessy                              Akano, Uruma, Okinawa, Japan
Debian Med packaging team         http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med