Re: GR proposal: mandating VcsGit and VcsBrowser for all packages, using the "gbp patches unapplied" layout, and maybe also mandating hosted on Salsa

Hi!

On 26.09.19 08:03, Ansgar wrote:
> Enrico Zini writes:
>> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 08:27:15PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:

>> Also, as over time my packaging practices have become outdated, I have
>> found it both difficult and frustrating to engage on a quest for
>> figuring out "how does one do this thing nowadays?"[1], and if there
>> were default recommendations available, I would have considered them a
>> boon[2].
>
> What does stop the recommendations to be outdated in a year or two?
> Given the long and slow process to gather them, there will probably be a
> long and slow process to change them; that discourages actually changing
> them (too high barrier).
>
> In my opinion we already have similar problems with other
> standards/documentation in Debian.

Just to be clear, are you saying: because we think today that we cannot
commit to maintain documentation we should rather live without it?

I personally believe that the current long and slow process is due to
the fact that it is the first time that this process happens. Logically,
every subsequent time will be faster, because there will already be a
basis. It will easier to change an existing piece of documentation than
to research and rewrite it from scratch. And yes, documentation needs
the same kind of maintenance as packages themselves :)

Cheers!
Ulrike