Re: GR proposal: mandating VcsGit and VcsBrowser for all packages, using the "gbp patches unapplied" layout, and maybe also mandating hosted on Salsa

> On 23 Jul 2019, at 15:11, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:
>

> The idea is to be able to use unified tooling. Currently, we can't for
> example easily do a mass-commit on all packages. Or apply a new CI test
> to all packages. And that's even without considering the entry barrier
> for contributing to the Debian archive. In for example FreeBSD, it's a
> way more obvious how to contribute to /usr/ports. In Debian, it's not.

Well, yes, please.  We should have done that years ago.  It’s extremely
bothersome if you need to help fix a other developer/maintainer’s package
and they don’t use DVCS (well, I mean git) and a layout that gbp can work
with smoothly.

I usually end up importing packages into gbp and working from the local
mirror.  But it is bothersome.

Thanks for doing that,
--
Ondřej Surý