Re: Censorship in Debian

On 1/8/19 8:28 AM, Ian Jackson wrote:
Miles Fidelman writes ("Re: Censorship in Debian"):
I've basically been nursing a couple of aging systems.  When next I do a
major upgrade to our server farm, It will be to something other than
Debian.  Until then, the pressure hasn't been there, and I've been -
I've been waiting and watching to see how different alternatives mature
(along with what direction several key server-side applications, on
which we depend, go).
I would have been very surprised if you had told me 6 months ago that
I would be writing this, but:

Please consider Devuan as an alternative.  You have probably seen
awful mails from one or two very toxic trolls pushing Devuan, but the
actual Devuan developers I have dealt with have been lovely, and on a
technical level they seem to be doing good work.

Thanks!  It's actually high on my list.  I've been waiting for it to mature just a bit, and it seems to have.  Any observations on how it stacks up for a production server?  Anything else that strikes you as a particularly strong Debian alternative for servers?  (My short list, right now is Gentoo, Funtoo, Devuan, and FreeBSD.  I'd been hoping that one of the OpenSolaris derivatives would look solid, but it's never really happened.  Hypervisors & failover, and replicated storage are also high on my list).

Miles

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra