Re: Conflict escalation and discipline

On 4/18/18, Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi> wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-04-18 at 13:41 +0100, Martín Ferrari wrote:
>> I believe that a-h is the natural starting point for dealing with these
>> issues.
>
> Most of the problems being discussed right now, and in general, seem
> to be of the sort where feelings are hurt, but harassment isn't
> happening. The situations seem to be "A did something, and B was
> offended, how do we get A and B to understand each other, and resolve
> any conflict, and get A and B to collaborate in the future?".
>
> This implies to me that, at the least, "anti-harassment" is the wrong
> name for a team that deals with this.

What about turning to a thesaurus? That's helped me A LOT along the
way in #Life. :)

Also, my memory is foggy so this next might not end up applicable, but
there was a catch phrase that was all over the business world in the
late 90s. My memory is that the concept was about understanding each
other and learning to interpret each individual's... I don't know...
point of view, I guess.

Whatever it was, it was so involved that we ended with two or three
inch thick notebooks full of things about it when it was over. The
thing about something like that is it does take the willingness of all
involved to make it work.

Again, I could really be remembering wrong, but the feeling left all
these years later was that it was all about bonding toward one goal in
spite of very obvious, understandable, acceptable differences.

So I tried an "employee bonding" search. That landed a few things that
may or may not be of interest relative to this topic. "Team building'
was another phrase that presented itself. Both appeared to be
something that might could be tweaked to apply to an international
group of volunteers living in a far more stressful World than we had
in the 90s.. :)

And my apologies if that topic has already long ago been addressed somehow.. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *