Re: Inappropriate content on planet.debian.org and need of evolution of documentation and CoC

Reply in-line -

On 08/04/2017, Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:
> Le Fri, Apr 07, 2017 at 03:00:10PM +0530, shirish शिरीष a écrit :
>>
>> Could you or anybody else please share even if unintentionally, I have
>> been demeaning to anybody in my writings. While I have repeatedly
>> apologized, I would like to know where I have demeaned people.
>> Everybody is welcome to point to me either publicly or privately what
>> is/was demeaning in my writing.
>
> Hi Shirish and everybody,

Hi Charles,

> I think that there is a broad consensus that the core problem is the image
> that you included, not the writings.
>
> On my side, do trust you that you did not intend to hurt anybody, and that
> you did not intend the use of this image to be eye-catching to attract readers,
> nor to convey derogatory messages about women.  But Debian is a very broad
> community, so if you are told that the image has made Debian less welcoming
> than it should, and that it has put people at risk to lose their jobs, you
> (and > me) have to trust that.

I understand both the concerns which have been bought and shared before.

> If I could sugest a good way out of this situation, it would be that you
> acknowledge (briefly) that you understood that images are sensitive
> materials that have much more potential to harm others than just plain text, >and that you will be careful in the future.  In return, I think that it would fair if
> the anti-harassment team would also acknowledge that you are not a               > harrasser,to cleary any possible misunderstanding if a third party stumbles in     > the archives of this discussion at some point in the future.

I do acknowledge that images have more potential to harm others,
although I believe in exact opposite that words have both the power to
heal and burn in ways images never can.

Nevertheless, I did say sorry in
https://flossexperiences.wordpress.com/2017/04/06/the-fatalistic-attitude/
but if there is anything more that is needed to be done by me which
will make amends I'm ready to do that. If it is simply to ackowledge
here on the mailing list, have done that. If it is to acknowledge on
another blog post that my choice of picture was not great and be more
sensitive in choosing pictures am ready to do that as well.

For my part, I also tried asking the same question in
https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/is-there-a-way-to-make-photos-covered-or-content-covered?

But as can be seen no one has bothered to reply as of yet. I would
probably use webapps.stackexchange.com to see if some sort of
technical solution is also available that could be used as well.

I believe the ideal solution would be a mix of both social and
technical solution .

As an aside, yesterday, I just registered and tried hex.bz which is a
public instance of mastodon and saw there is a neat CW (Content
Warning) code which hides content and if people want to make a choice
to still see the content then they are responsible.

> Have a nice week-end,

The same to you as well sir.

--
          Regards,