Re: Inappropriate content on planet.debian.org and need of evolution of documentation and CoC

in-line :-

On 07/04/2017, Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> wrote:

> Is anything you ever wrote short? I have yet to see the day where you
> produce output thats less than a dozen paragraphs. And thats straight to
> the point instead of retelling the whole story of earth and humankind to
> set a base that in the end doesn't appear to be neccessary. I skip most
> of your stuff usually because its just way too long.

agree to disagree. I have been told in past that I make jumps and
connections without giving contextual information. I don't deny that
it takes me much more time and space than the other person, but that's
the only way I know.

For instance, probably this week-end I'll be sharing and posting about
a certain political person and a political party. Now the party has
been there for around 50 years. Because of the way the party was
formed and incidents that happened or occurred it is being the way it
is. If I just call the political party ' a nuisance party' and the
person/s involved in an incident 'nuisance persons' without giving
that contextual information, it will neither make sense for people who
do not know about the political party in question and it will be easy
for people to accuse me of being from some other political party or
worse.

>> Cut to 2016 and after South Africa trip, I had promised myself as well
>> as others on the debconf-discuss that I will share some of the
>> highlights of the trip. I found photos really capture the moment and
>> once you start describing a certain photo you relive the moment all
>> over again. For this purposes, I did get access to debconf gallery
>> page but its usage is only for debconf images.
>
> And that stuff is good, and while it all was lengthy, it actually was a
> nice read.

At least something turned out to be worthwhile :)

>> One of the first lessons I was taught the importance of having both
>> pictures and short paragraphs.
>
> Short paragraphs alone don't make it better if you end up with a million
> of them. Turns out to be the same long text in the end.

agreed.

>> Now as far as me writing technical content about Debian on p.d.o. is
>> concerned, that's a laugh. I do not think that there is anything I
>> write technically which will be news either to Debian or/and DD's. In
>> fact, if people looked at the itsfoss.com articles they will find most
>> are beginner-friendly articles.
>
> And Planet is not a forum where everything must be news to DDs/DMs and
> gosh, beware, if we don't learn something new technical every day on
> Planet, day is bad. Not at all.

Ok.

>> Somebody shared that ranting about Debian is fine. I disagree with
>> that.
>
> But of course ranting is fine.

Ok.

>> Having said that, I know now its not alright to have anything even
>> remotedly talk about sex at p.d.o. at all.
>
> And thats lets me wonder if you understood what you got told about the
> one post from you that got this all started. No, talking about sex is
> NOT forbidden. Thats not what you got told. Its also not "must be safe
> for 12 year olds".
>
> The fine point is to do it in a way that will not get fellow Debianites
> into trouble (and to not have sex talk as your only content...). A
> picture like was in your post is able to get people into trouble, some
> employers do have pretty strict rules. Describing an act (in a halfway
> human way, not like writing a porn movie seller) won't (as much) make
> trouble.

That I understood, I think there are two strategies I could use if I
had to do the same thing today  -

a. Not to syndicate to planet-debian at all - the easiest way .

b. Instead of putting the whole post just use <---more---> , this way
the content above the fold which would be textual matter would only
come, which probably will just be a paragraph. if a person/s decide to
visit the blog then planet.debian.org is not to be blamed. This would
be only for controversial topics though or something where I'm not
sure of.

> (And then add on top that we are a pretty huge community with a whole
> load of different views on life and all its matters. Keep in mind that
> Planet may be read by all of us, so try to not be demeaning in your
> writings).

Could you or anybody else please share even if unintentionally, I have
been demeaning to anybody in my writings. While I have repeatedly
apologized, I would like to know where I have demeaned people.
Everybody is welcome to point to me either publicly or privately what
is/was demeaning in my writing.

If people don't point out and let me know how will I know and correct
my mistakes.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल