Re: Replace the TC power to depose maintainers [and 1 more messages]

Dear all

El 05/12/16 a las 19:13, Lars Wirzenius escribió:
> We've had the "strong package ownership" concept be a problem in
> various ways. Many years ago people were afraid of making NMUs to fix
> bugs, even RC bugs, and I started the
> https://wiki.debian.org/LowThresholdNmu page. It's got over 300
> maintainers now, and NMUs are quite normal, though I suspect zack's
> NMU campaigning helped more.
>
> I suggest a lighter approach than a GR for eroding the strong package
> ownership further is to start another page, "LowThresholdHijack" or
> something, listing maintainers who are OK if someone hijacks their
> package if the maintainer isn't taking good care of it.

I like this idea, although I felt confused about the term.

I asked Lars about it in IRC, posting the conversation with his
permission:

<larjona> Hi! I'm not sure about what do you mean about hijack, isn't
the same as "adoption"? I mean, a maintainer sends a RFA or Orphans a
package when she cannot care about it, this is the same, but the
initial movement made by a different DD. Isn't it?
<liw> pretty much. hijack has a stronger connotation where it's done
against the current maintainer's wishes, but my proposed list would
remove that connotation
<liw> possibly hijack is the wrong word
<larjona> I don't know if there is a word in English for when the
state decides to take apart children from bad (no caring) parents, in
Spanish it's "quitar la custodia". That would be the word I would use.
If there is not, "adoption", simply, to encourage people to sign in
the list.
<liw> agreed
<larjona> Or maybr just a list of "cat model package maintainers"
http://www.trueelena.org/computers/articles/the_cat_model_of_package_ownership.html

<liw> LowThresholdAdoption maybe?
<larjona> Yes
<liw> feel free to copy this discussion to the email thread :)
<larjona> Thanks. Will do.

Would anyone
> else than I put themselves on that new page? (If you would, start the
> page on the wiki and announce it on this thread, and I'll add myself.)

I have just created the page:

https://wiki.debian.org/LowThresholdAdoption

and added myself to the list. I've copied some parts from the
LowThresholdNmu wiki page but deleted others (mainly about procedure,
because if more people likes this idea, I guess some "procedure" like
a NM-RFA should be created? I leave this for the
"packaging"(uploading) DDs.

I've added myself to the list for one of the tasks I have committed to
care in Debian, the coordination of the Spanish translation of
www.debian.org.

Best regards

--
Laura Arjona Reina