Re: Replace the TC power to depose maintainers

Hi,

Quoting Holger Levsen (2016-12-02 13:11:05)
> I'm just commenting on this single issue (and aspect of it…) here+now…
>
> On Thu, Dec 01, 2016 at 07:20:36PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 01, 2016 at 03:46:05PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > > 3. Abolish maintainership entirely.
> > This is the obviously right solution.
>
> while I can see where you are coming from and where you want us to go,
> (and while I like the direction…) I'm not sure such a move would be
> beneficial, because of unintended consequences:
>
> motivation. being able to say "I'm the maintainer of $foo" is a *great*
> motivation for many. Taking this away *might* cause a lot more harm that
> gain.

Why would this be taken away?

If the majority of recent debian/changelog entries are by you, I would claim
that it's no problem for you to still call yourself the maintainer because
apparently that's what you are doing: maintaining a package. It's just that
others could potentially also upload fixes. But it doesn't take away the work
you do or that you are doing most of it. That you are doing most of it will
still be visible.

Counter example to your argument:

People have repeatedly called me "the sbuild maintainer" and that is despite:

 - my first sbuild upload was only a little more than a year ago
 - the package is still team maintained
 - I only added myself to the Uploaders field four weeks ago

I agree, it feels great to be called the maintainer of $foo, but in my
experience people call you "the maintainer" even if you haven't maintained that
thing for a very long time, the package is team maintained and you are not even
in the Uploaders field.

cheers, josch