Re: Replace the TC power to depose maintainers

Paul Wise writes ("Re: Replace the TC power to depose maintainers"):
> I'd like to reframe this discussion a little bit...
>
> What exactly is the Maintainer* field for?
>
> Initially it was a way for individuals to declare their commitment to
> perform all tasks in relation to a package.

Not at all.

Mainly, it was a way to control who got email about the package.

> * and why did we make the huge mistake of not calling it Maintainers

I was there at the time; this may even have been my fault.  Sorry.

> and then making the secondary mistake of introducing Uploaders instead
> of renaming it to Maintainers.

That was madness.  We should have just fixed the things that wanted a
single email address for that field.

We could still do this.  "Team maintained" packages would end up with
  Maintainer: Alice, Bob, Cryptographic Tales Team

> I would like to see Maintainer/Uploaders replaced with some sort of
> fine-grained commitment registration system:
>
> I commit to [stuff]

Oh god please no.  I wouldn't ever want to make any such statement.

Ian.