Re: shutting down httpredir.debian.org?

]] Bastian Blank

> On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 09:02:18AM +0000, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> > If we want to maintain some form of geographic closeness for it, then
> > pointing it to deb.debian.org seems like something we could try.
>
> What kind of setup is deb.debian.org?

It's ftp.debian.org fronted by (currently at least), Fastly.  (Not sure
if that answers your question?  Happy to elaborate if you explain what
you're after.)

> And maybe we can fit the possibility to force some ip blocks to given
> mirrors.  Currently we hard-code the Azure supplied mirrors into the
> images[3].  However I would like to move this decision into more global
> infrastructure, without paying the overhead of httpredir in the current
> form.

(Taking a slight guess at what you actually mean here.)  Anycast for
HTTP directly is somewhat icky, when done over the global internet,
since you often (relatively) end up with BGP reconvergences leading you
to hit a different server, which causes the current problems.  For this,
just doing anycast for the DNS servers is better (since it's mostly UDP
(and the rest is short-lived TCP) and therefore not subject to the same
problems.

--
Tollef Fog Heen