Re: shutting down httpredir.debian.org?

Hi,

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> So, it appears as if currently nobody has time or the energy to take
> care of httpredir.debian.org properly.
>
> I suggest we shut down the service for now.  If, at some future point,
> somebody wants to maintain again we can always start it up again.

Will you make httpredir point to a normal mirror so as not to break
systems relying on it? (Or even to the geolocalized DNS entries if we
still have that)

If yes, then it's certainly a sensible thing to do.

I'd like also to note that once we have proper by-hash package indices in
Debian too, it's entirely reasonable to rely on MirrorBrain as HTTP
redirector. I use it for Kali for more than 3 years already.

http://mirrorbrain.org

But I still haven't gotten round to package it properly for Debian... but
I will do that at some point.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer