Re: shutting down httpredir.debian.org?

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Apr 2016, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> > So, it appears as if currently nobody has time or the energy to take
> > care of httpredir.debian.org properly.
> >
> > I suggest we shut down the service for now.  If, at some future point,
> > somebody wants to maintain again we can always start it up again.
>
> Will you make httpredir point to a normal mirror so as not to break
> systems relying on it? (Or even to the geolocalized DNS entries if we
> still have that)
>
> If yes, then it's certainly a sensible thing to do.

I agree that breaking existing uses (of at least /debian) should be
avoided, and that, therefore, pointing it to some working system would
be the way to go.

> I'd like also to note that once we have proper by-hash package indices in
> Debian too, it's entirely reasonable to rely on MirrorBrain as HTTP
> redirector. I use it for Kali for more than 3 years already.
>
> http://mirrorbrain.org

Looks exciting at first glance.  Need to look at it in more detail.

Cheers,
--
                            |  .''`.       ** Debian **
      Peter Palfrader       | : :' :      The  universal
 https://www.palfrader.org/ | `. `'      Operating System