Re: shutting down httpredir.debian.org?

On 04/13/2016 10:23 AM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
>>  ** It can serve things down to the file level to a mirror that
>> > still/already has a certain file
> The "still" is wrong. It's actually an annoying bug that needs to be
> fixed for our usage... Kali wants to sponsor this bugfix but the
> upstream developer is currently busy with other stuff so it has not
> happened yet.
>
> https://github.com/poeml/mirrorbrain/issues/21
>
> Which also shows another downside: this is really a one-person
> project currently (not different from httpredir though, and
> this one has the advantage of being more generic so can and already serves
> more projects in the free software world).

True. I know Peter is very busy. I opened and issue and sent in a patch
myself, to allow IPv6 AS look-up
(https://github.com/poeml/mirrorbrain/issues/154) which has not yet made
it into mod_as.

I suppose the move to GitHub is a sign that he wants to allow easier
cooperation with others and is open for patches. which can be integrated
easy.

It might sound like a very non technical argument: But what apart from
mirrorbrain which is that powerful, free and field-proven is there as
alternative? I would rather work on getting pull requests ready
resolving the various little bugs and annoyances than to discuss
something completely different once again. It's not like mirrorbrain is
fundamentally unfit to work as good mirror redirector for Debian.

Regards

Christian