Re: What it means to be Debian

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 08:59:51PM +0200, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> > > The above has nothing to do with beliefs.  Beliefs are about people who believe
> > > that using non-free services is better for some ethical reason.
> > Do such people exist or that's a straw man?
> I'm not sure if they do.
Thanks.

> > No free alternative was suggested here. Not to mention "insecure and
> > untrusted" which can probably be classified as FUD
> That depends who you want to trust.  If you don't like the NSA, you definitely
> shouldn't send your data to Google.  Whether or not those with access are
> trusted is a personal issue.
This, of course, is not at all related to a question of freeness and is
more or less equaly applicable to any other hosted solution.

> > > The problem with services such as Google docs and YouTube is that the site
> > > owner allows the service provider to violate the privacy of the visitors.  This
> > > shouldn't be a decision that the site owner is allowed to make.
> > This, of course, has nothing to do with four freedoms or with your
> > favorite definition of "free".
> It is.  Privacy violations do not pass the
> https://wiki.debian.org/DissidentTest .  Services that violate privacy are by
> definition not free.
If you are applying your freeness requirements not just to the service
source code (as most people are, in my experience) then you probably need
a different definition, and it's even harder to find a service complying
with it.

--
WBR, wRAR