Re: What it means to be Debian

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 03:59:57PM +0200, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> The above has nothing to do with beliefs.  Beliefs are about people who believe
> that using non-free services is better for some ethical reason.
Do such people exist or that's a straw man?

> So I agree with the illness statement (although I don't think "illness" is a
> good word for it): if people (believe they) need non-free software, we should
> try to make free alternatives better.
Yes, we should, instead of preaching and scolding.

> None of this means we should tell people they can't use non-free software, but
> it may mean suggesting free alternatives (as was done in the post that started
> this discussion).
I'll quote the relevant part of the post that started this discussion:

"""
 2. The data has to be entered in Google Docs / Google Forms. Excuse
    me, but weren't you saying you are reaching out to Free Software
    projects?

I do not see why, as a Free Software contributor, I should act upon a
mail that looks as close to simple spam as it can get and asks me to
enter stuff into an insecure, untrusted and non-free application.
"""

No free alternative was suggested here. Not to mention "insecure and
untrusted" which can probably be classified as FUD (as that's equally
applicable to most free alternatives, I guess).

> The problem with services such as Google docs and YouTube is that the site
> owner allows the service provider to violate the privacy of the visitors.  This
> shouldn't be a decision that the site owner is allowed to make.
This, of course, has nothing to do with four freedoms or with your
favorite definition of "free".

--
WBR, wRAR