Re: Code of Conduct violations handling process

Scott Kitterman <sklist@kitterman.com> writes:
> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:

>>       How do you suppose we keep the atmosphere from devolving back to
>> the poisonous flame-fest days, and enforce various codes of conduct
>> policies?  I have seen far too many tech conferences without codes of
>> conduct devolve into misogynistic and occasionally racist
>> experiences. The argument that codes of conduct are forms of censorship
>> is frequently made, but, I am afraid, not very convincingly.

> None of those things are at issue in this case. It's not relevant.

What case?  Ian raised a bunch of general questions about how we plan on
enforcing our CoC, with no reference to any specific incident.  You seem
to be convinced that this is about some specific incident and, further,
about forcing some specific action about that specific incident, but so
far as I can tell, this belief on your part is not based on anything
that's been said in this mailing list.

Even if you're right and this is all inspired by some specific incident,
the general questions are still worth discussing seriously in their own
right.  There's no need to dismiss the entire conversion (or, worse, be
flippant about it in a way that implies that Debian doesn't care about the
experience of people on its mailing lists or at its conferences) just
because you *think* you disagree with the motives of the person who raised
the issues.