Re: Code of Conduct violations handling process

On September 3, 2014 12:52:44 PM EDT, Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 03 2014, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>

>> As far as I can tell, he spoke the truth as he knows it.  I have no
>> idea if he's right or wrong, but he was stating his perspective and
>we
>> ought to be open to that.
>
>> While he could have phrased it better, I don't think the CoC protects
>> people from having to hear opinions relevant to the project that they
>> disagree with or make then feel bad because they are being accused of
>> bad behavior.
>
>        Often the difference between expressing an opinion in an
> acceptable manner and expressing it unacceptably is indeed how one
> phrases it, so the devil lies in the details
>
>        Having said that, I have just rewatched the talk, and I
> personally was not offended. I do think calling people bigots is rude,
>and in a way attacks their expression of their closely held opinions --
> which is exactly what people here seem to want to defend.
>

>       People associated with the FSF or those who feel i sympathy with
> them feel offended, I find it somewhat disappointing that we care so
> little about people being offensive, given the progress we have made.

If I believe someone has lied to me, I can't envision a way to say that that won't offend them.

No matter how well or poorly he put his opinion, some people were going to have a case of butt hurt over it.

Avoiding offence is a great goal, but sometimes (and I think this is one of those times), it isn't possible to avoid it without overly restraining free expression.   In cases where free expression and avoiding offence are conflicting, free expression has to win out.

Scott K