Re: Code of Conduct violations handling process

On September 3, 2014 10:23:14 AM EDT, Ian Jackson <ijackson@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>Piotr Ożarowski writes ("Re: Code of Conduct violations handling
>process"):
>> yeah, lets do censorship. I lived in a country with censorship¹, we
>> didn't have people swearing and nobody dared to say something which
>is
>> not politically correct, at least in public. Grat times!
>
>Is it `censorship' that the DebConf CoC bans sexualised imagery in
>slides ?  My point being that the word `censorship' is just a way of
>raising the political temperature.  It doesn't add anything.
>
>And for the record, I'm not suggesting any of the extreme proposals
>here and I think equating my email with them is offensive.

I'm offended at the use of the CoC as a political hammer.

I've watched the entire video. There was nothing sexualized in what he says. I think you're doing a fine job of raising the temperature on your own.

As far as I can tell, he spoke the truth as he knows it.  I have no idea if he's right or wrong, but he was stating his perspective and we ought to be open to that.

While he could have phrased it better, I don't think the CoC protects people from having to hear opinions relevant to the project that they disagree with or make then feel bad because they are being accused of bad behavior.

Scott K