Re: Code of Conduct violations handling process

On September 3, 2014 12:47:08 PM EDT, Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 03 2014, Piotr Ożarowski wrote:
>
>> [Manoj Srivastava, 2014-09-03]
>>>         Is your position then that condes of conduct and enforcing
>>>  harassment policies are a form of censorship? (I am congnizent that
>you
>
>> no, if I'd think that, I'd retire already, no?
>
>        I am glad to hear that.

>>>         How do you suppose we keep the atmosphere from devolving
>back to
>>>  the poisonous flame-fest days, and enforce various codes of conduct
>>>  policies?  I have seen far too many tech conferences without codes
>of
>>>  conduct devolve into misogynistic and occasionally racist
>>>  experiences. The argument that codes of conduct are forms of
>censorship
>>>  is frequently made, but, I am afraid, not very convincingly.
>
>> my point is some people react out of proportion (and that's why I did
>as
>> well, didn't you notice at least a bit of sarcasm in my mail?).
>
>        I could not be sure.  Feeling and emotional nuances are hard to
>convey in email,and I certainly struggle with correctly judging peoples
> intent if they are at odds with what is expressed in writing.
>
>        So, if there was a speaker guideline in play, and if the
> delegates determine that that was violated, I shall be disappointed if
> nothing was done due to the stature of the speaker.
>
>> Some people want(ed) to codify in CoC other political correctness
>> "things" that I don't agree with. I like our current CoC and I don't
>> want to change it.
>
>        Respect for others seems to be a part of our CoC, no?

Respect has limits. As a project we've decided not to respect certain types of communication and people that insist on engaging in such communication (see the text of the CoC for details).

Given the question he was trying to answer (which was pretty darn loaded), his answer would have been incomplete without his opinion about the FSF.

I like that we have a CoC, but this kind of political witch hunt is exactly the reason many people argued against it.  I'd rather no CoC than this.

Scott K