Re: Possibly moving Debian services to a CDN

On Sat, Feb 08, 2014 at 02:16:07PM +0100, Peter Palfrader wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Feb 2014, Simon Paillard wrote:
>
> > > I don't think Debian should shut down the mirror network; at least on a
> > > national level. For example, right now I am configuring Debian AMIs
> > > within China, and the only mirror I can access from there is
> > > ftp.cn.debian.org.
> >
> > I don't want the current mirror network be dropped in favor of a CDN, for the
> > same good reason of being independent of a too little group of CDN providers
> > willing/able to carry Debian.
[..]
> A user should be able to tell their system "give me debian [, I don't
> care where it comes from]".

We agree.
The mirror network would still exist, as the basis for http.d.n (or an
alternate solution if any).

If having very low latency is too expensive according to DSA (too many PoPs),
then in my opinion we can sacrifice a bit the latency to keep independence.

> In the end it matters little how we achieve these goals, but we should
> work towards them.

We disagree on this, but in my opinion, we already achieve this with http.d.n
(except it's not DSA-sponsored and as consequence not official).

--
Simon Paillard