Re: Possibly moving Debian services to a CDN

On Sat, Feb 08, 2014 at 07:53:56PM +0800, James Bromberger wrote:
> On 8/02/2014 4:41 PM, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
[..]
> > Sure, the hypothetical scenario which I'm worried about is:
> > - there's only one CDN provider willing to support Debian, and able to
> >   meet our technical requirements
> > - we switch everything to that CDN, and shut down our mirrors network
> > - the CDN provider decides that, after all, it doesn't want to support
> >   Debian anymore
>
> I don't think Debian should shut down the mirror network; at least on a
> national level. For example, right now I am configuring Debian AMIs
> within China, and the only mirror I can access from there is
> ftp.cn.debian.org.

I don't want the current mirror network be dropped in favor of a CDN, for the
same good reason of being independent of a too little group of CDN providers
willing/able to carry Debian.

> > Clearly, that's a long way from the current status, but that's something
> > that we should keep in mind, and I was just slightly worried that it was
> > not mentioned in Tollef's status update.
>
> I think maintaining mirrors *and* balancing across mirrors and CDNs is a
> possible way forward with something like http.debian.net. I'm more than
> happy to help scale-out http.debian.net to multiple PoPs if we want to
> address that as well...

That would be great, thanks James for your help, we can discuss this privately
on mirrors@debian.org.

--
Simon Paillard