Re: Possibly moving Debian services to a CDN

On 8/02/2014 4:41 PM, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
Wasn't there an issue (that might not be CloudFront-specific) about the
refresh times of files in dists/? I remember reading about something
like that.

In so much as the origin HTTP server doe snot set explicit cache expiry headers (mod_expires) on objects; CloudFront defaults to 24 hours in this case. Hence my work last year to intercept 'volatile' URL paths and add on appropriate cache expiry headers. For those interested:

LCA 2014, Perth: Debian on AWS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9Du1nmDv84
(That's slightly updated from what I presented at DebConf)
Those timings have not caused me any issues in the last 6+ months of usage; but happy to tune further as people see fit. Suggestions welcome!

Sure, the hypothetical scenario which I'm worried about is:
- there's only one CDN provider willing to support Debian, and able to
  meet our technical requirements
- we switch everything to that CDN, and shut down our mirrors network
- the CDN provider decides that, after all, it doesn't want to support
  Debian anymore

I don't think Debian should shut down the mirror network; at least on a national level. For example, right now I am configuring Debian AMIs within China, and the only mirror I can access from there is ftp.cn.debian.org.

Clearly, that's a long way from the current status, but that's something
that we should keep in mind, and I was just slightly worried that it was
not mentioned in Tollef's status update.

I think maintaining mirrors *and* balancing across mirrors and CDNs is a possible way forward with something like http.debian.net. I'm more than happy to help scale-out http.debian.net to multiple PoPs if we want to address that as well...

  James

--
Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to