Re: Code of Conduct: picking up

My last post, I swear.

So, three or so people have came to me with this, so I'd like to clarify
exactly what I was intending - because, frankly, every person that yells
at me (and you all really should, please keep doing that) is proving the
point I was trying to make. Namely (full mail below):

> I wrote:
>
> As a "Gedankenexperiment", if you were to stop posting insane things,
> we'd all be happier.
>
> You see how even this can be used as an insult or to draw comparisons?

Basically, I was saying, look, if you're going to say something that's
over the line in a hypthetical, you *need* to be able to defend the content,
*not*, say "Do you know meaning of the word "Gedankenexperiment"?" and "why do
you attack me?" when confronted.

This is clearly not correct, and the content, even inside such ideas,
*can* be used in a hurtful way. It's a classic mode of argument. I see
it in Politics *all* the time.

When people do mass calls, sometimes sleezy politicians will do a "poll"
where they suggest insane ideas and see how it affects their numbers,
such as:

  "Do you support Joe for office"
  "Oh yes, he's great"
  "What if we told you that Joe did crack, would your opinion change?"
  "Oh of course, I don't want a congressman that does crack"
  "So you'd vote for Bob?"
  "Well yeah, of course."

(Now Joe has to go off and try to dismiss the crack claims, which makes
 him look like a lier or accept something he didn't do and "get help".)

No where does anyone claim he does, but it's used to "trick" and
influence people.

Dismissing such claims as: 'silly everyone, this is just a
"Gedankenexperiment"' isn't a correct defense, so I won't do it either.

I was giving an example of this, and not well. I should have likely not
said "you" to make it clear that I was suggesting this is not a sound
argument pattern, rather then me personally telling Norbert to not post more
emails. I don't mind.

I don't stand by the content of that mail, and I'm sorry, but I stand by
it's point, and the following line:

> Please don't continue to defend such poor behavior.

Much love,
  Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>
: :'  : Proud Debian Developer
My last post, I swear.

So, three or so people have came to me with this, so I'd like to clarify
exactly what I was intending - because, frankly, every person that yells
at me (and you all really should) is proving the point I was trying to
make. Namely (full mail below):

> I wrote:
> As a "Gedankenexperiment", if you were to stop posting insane things,
> we'd all be happier.
>
> You see how even this can be used as an insult or to draw comparisons?

Basically, I was saying, look, if you're going to say something that's
over the line, you *need* to be able to defend the content, *not*, say
"Do you know meaning of the word "Gedankenexperiment"?" and "why do you
attack me?" when confronted.

This is clearly not correct, and the content, even inside such ideas,
*can* be used in a hurtful way.

Dismissing such claims as: 'silly everyone, this is just a
"Gedankenexperiment"' isn't correct, so I won't do it either.