Re: Code of Conduct: picking up

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 12:39:32AM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Op 08-11-13 23:30, Wouter Verhelst schreef:
> > Op 05-11-13 16:25, Wouter Verhelst schreef:
> > [...draft CoC...]

> > To avoid spamming this list with one draft after another, I've put my
> > current draft in a git repository which people can now find at

> > http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=users/wouter/coc.git;a=blob;f=coc.markdown

> > This will be updated as the discussion moves along. Patches in "git am"
> > format are welcome, as are regular comments on this list ;-)

> With the last mail to this thread now two weeks old, I've not received
> any further comments on my draft.

> Can I interpret that as "people think it's ready", or is something else
> going on?

For a full week of that two-week period, alioth was completely down, so this
draft was inaccessible.  This is normally the least of the reasons why I
would argue that the full text of drafts should be posted to the mailing
list for discussion, instead of referring to VCS URLs.

I quote the current draft below for people to comment on.

 # Debian Code of Conduct

 ## Be respectful

 In a project the size of Debian, inevitably there will be people with
 whom you may disagree, or find it difficult to cooperate. Accept that,
 but even so, remain respectful. Disagreement is no excuse for poor
 behaviour or personal attacks, and a community in which people feel
 threatened is not a healthy community.

 ## Assume good faith

 Debian Contributors have many ways of reaching our common goal of a
 [free](http://www.debian.org/intro/free) operating system which may
 differ from your ways. Assume that other people are working towards this
 goal.

 Note that many of our Contributors are not native english speakers or
 may have different cultural backgrounds; see also our [diversity
 statement](http://www.debian.org/intro/diversity)

 ## Be collaborative
 Debian is a large and complex project; there is always more to learn
 within Debian. It's good to ask for help when you need it. Similarly,
 offers for help should be seen in the context of our shared goal of
 improving Debian.

 When you make something for the benefit of the project, be willing to
 explain to others how it works, so that they can build on your work to
 make it even better.

 ## Try to be concise

 Keep in mind that what you write once will be read by hundreds of
 persons. Writing a short email means people can understand the
 conversation as efficiently as possible. When a long explanation is
 necessary, consider adding a summary.

 Try to bring new arguments to a conversation so that each mail adds
 something unique to the thread, keeping in mind that the rest of the
 thread still contains the other messages with arguments that have
 already been made.

 Try to stay on topic, especially in discussions that are already fairly
 large.

 ## Be open

 Most ways of communication used within Debian allow for public and
 private communication. As per paragraph three of the [social
 contract](http://www.debian.org/social_contract), you should preferably
 use public methods of communication for Debian-related messages, unless
 posting something sensitive.

 This applies to messages for help or Debian-related support, too; not
 only is a public support request much more likely to result in an answer
 to your question, it also makes sure that any inadvertent mistakes made
 by people answering your question will be more easily detected and
 corrected.

 ## In case of problems

 While this code of conduct should be adhered to by participants, we
 recognize that sometimes people may have a bad day, or be unaware of
 some of the rules in this code of conduct. When that happens, you may
 reply to them and point out this code of conduct. Such messages may be
 in public or in private, whatever is most appropriate. However,
 regardless of whether the message is public or not, it should still
 adhere to the relevant parts of this code of conduct; in particular, it
 should not be abusive or disrespectful. Assume good faith; it is more
 likely that participants are unaware of their bad behaviour than that
 they intentionally try to degrade the quality of the discussion.

 Serious or persistent offenders will temporarily or permanently banned
 from communicating through Debian's systems. Complaints should be made
 (in private) to the administrators of the Debian communication forum in
 question.

 # Further reading

 The links in this section do not refer to documents that are part of
 this code of conduct, nor are they authoritative within Debian. However,
 they do contain useful information on how to conduct oneself on our
 communcation channels.

 - The [Debian Community Guidelines](http://people.debian.org/~enrico/dcg/)
   by Enrico Zini contain some advice on how to communicate effectively.
 - <link to documentation on what to do in case of technical problems>