Re: Should mailing list bans be published?

Le Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 07:58:03AM +0000, Lars Wirzenius a écrit :
> On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 09:00:20AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> >
> > Given how arbitrarly other bans have been proposed, I think that the
> > outcome should stay private unless the banned person wishes so.
>
> I don't understand this at all. Are you saying Debian listmasters, who
> decide on bans, have been making arbitrary, and therefore badly
> justified, bans?

Dear Lars and listmasters,

no, this is not what I wrote, I am not saying that listmasters are making
arbitrary bans (after checking an on-line dictionary, let me clarify that I
read "arbitrary" in the sense of "Determined by chance, whim, or impulse, and
not by necessity, reason, or principle", not "Established by a court or judge
rather than by a specific law or statute").

But I am saying that everybody, me, you, the listmasters, and anybody else who
do some work will eventually take a decision that is not the best.  Only the
ones who does nothing does no mistake.

More in particular, I have seen on another list this year a public call for
banning a contributor, that was written in a precise authoritative style and
looked well argumented, but was quickly contradicted by at least four debian
developers, who unerlined that the contributor was polite, constructive and
respectful.

The point I want to make is that decisions are hard to take and the listmasters
will eventually be presented contradicting informations, that might not even
come on the same day.

So why don't we mitigate in advance any possibility of error on our side ?

Anyway, the tone of this debate gives a strange taste that we are trying to
decide for the listmasters.  On my side, if they are reluctant to publish a
list of banned people, I say: I would be as well if I were in your position,
and I would certainely not blame you if you would keep this information
private.  (For the reasonning, it was written by me and others before,
and I will save everybody's time by not repeating it).

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan