Re: Should mailing list bans be published?

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 05:27:25PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:

> Simply obfuscating the name on the list of banned users (or not posting
> any names at all, only links to the posts that led to the ban) would

I'm in favour of not posting names but links to the posts that led to
the ban. That it solves the problem of google-shaming is welcome, but
marginal to me. The most important thing to me in doing that, is that we
make it clear that "we banned you from the list for what you did",
instead of "we banned you from the list for what you are".

That subtle distinction in the message is very important to me, because
it makes the distinction from a community where I'm judged for what I
am, to a community where I'm judged for what I do.

In the former, the incentive is to do as little public activity as
possible, because it might turn into stigma. Places that work in that
way see very little involvement from me.

In the latter, I'm happy to participate and take my chances, because I
know that if I screw up I can learn something from my mistakes, grow up
and do better next time.

Ciao,

Enrico

--