Re: Should mailing list bans be published?

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013, Joey Hess wrote:

> Bart Martens wrote:
> > I suggest we keep things civil, with respect for the persons involved.  It's
> > really not up to Debian to harm someone's reputation, and that could reflect
> > bad on Debian's reputation.

> > Approaches I could support :
> > - post the bans with reasons on debian-private
> > - or maintain a list of bans with reasons in a text file on a Debian machine
> >   where DDs can read this info.

> Simply obfuscating the name on the list of banned users (or not posting
> any names at all, only links to the posts that led to the ban) would
> eliminate most reputational damage. Ie, random searches for that
> person would not turn up a high pagerank debian.org page listing their
> youthful indiscretions.

> Using eg "J. Hess" would probably be fine in most cases.

+1 for a elegance and gesture, but -1 for efficiency: F.Last is not
sufficiently obfuscated when Last name is not very common.   but
probably it would still be better indeed than publishing names publicly
complete unobfuscated.

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko, Ph.D.
http://neuro.debian.net http://www.pymvpa.org http://www.fail2ban.org