Re: Paths into Debian

On 09/24/2013 05:41 PM, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On 24/09/13 at 14:46 +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> On 24/09/13 14:09, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:

>>> bitesized or

>>> I don't want to give the wrong impression - I'll still use the chosen
>>> tag, but if I'm to play the Umarell, I'd be most likely to use "bitesize"
>>>
>>> Seriously, I don't want to get between work getting done, though.
>>>

>> However people feel about "gift", there is also the jargon factor.  For
>> newcomers, jargon is a barrier and potential time waster
>>
>> Can we use a word that is neutral and obvious?
>>
>> Maybe "trivial-to-fix" or something like that?
>
> Wouldn't new contributors feel bad if they can't fix a "trivial-to-fix"
> bug?
>
> I think that if we change the name because 'gift' sends a wrong message,
> it would be better to change to something that doesn't try to convey a
> message, like suitable-for-new-contributors, or new-contributors.

Hi everyone!

I've been following the topic for some time; IMHO the word should be
something real, something that is, *literally*, what it claims to be. It
would be far less confusing this way.

I'd like to propose "entry-level" or any variation of it, or at least
hear a reasonable argument favoring jargon terms. FWIW, I agree with
Daniel on this one.

But hey, any longer discussion on this particular terminology problem
bears a high risk of bikeshedding! Let's be all aware of that.

Cheers,

--
. o . Victor Nițu
. . o debian.org.ro

772B 3AD9 007D A980 330F BDCE 03EF 1B1B F206 F2FC