Re: Paths into Debian

On 24/09/13 16:41, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On 24/09/13 at 14:46 +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> On 24/09/13 14:09, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:

>>> bitesized or

>>> I don't want to give the wrong impression - I'll still use the chosen
>>> tag, but if I'm to play the Umarell, I'd be most likely to use "bitesize"
>>>
>>> Seriously, I don't want to get between work getting done, though.
>>>

>> However people feel about "gift", there is also the jargon factor.  For
>> newcomers, jargon is a barrier and potential time waster
>>
>> Can we use a word that is neutral and obvious?
>>
>> Maybe "trivial-to-fix" or something like that?
> Wouldn't new contributors feel bad if they can't fix a "trivial-to-fix"
> bug?
>
> I think that if we change the name because 'gift' sends a wrong message,
> it would be better to change to something that doesn't try to convey a
> message, like suitable-for-new-contributors, or new-contributors.

It is contextual as well

What is "trivial" for an experienced Java programmer is not trivial to a
Java beginner or somebody who only knows Python and C.

My feeling is that a Java task marked "trivial" or whatever should be
trivial for a Java beginner but it would not need to imply that it is
trivial for somebody who knows Python.

Maybe there could be tags such as "java-bitesize" or "python-quickfix"
or "c-trivial" and in each case, it assumes the person attacking it has
beginner level knowledge of the technology in question