Re: Debian companies group

On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 08:14:10PM +0200, Michael Meskes wrote:
> > On Dienstag, 3. September 2013, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > > But I don't understand why
> > > interested DD aren't allowed to subscribe to it. I also don't understand
> > > what the minimum size requirement brings.

> > me neither. why are small debian companies no debian companies (in this
> > context)?  Why shouldn't they?  We had one person companies sponsoring
> > DebConfs several times.

> Right and we already have a debian-consultants mailing list, don't we? The
> idea was that bigger companies may have other topics and ideas.  But then
> maybe not, but it's worth a try imo.  The numbers are not set in stone
> btw, but I strongly believe in the beginning we should not start with
> everyone, but a group that is not really represented so far.

I was unaware that this list existed.  It seems that it was created over a
year ago at Zack's request:  http://bugs.debian.org/650082

I don't understand the value of such a list at all, or why, if it's a closed
list, it should be run on Debian infrastructure.  What do Debian-using
companies need to discuss that they can't already discuss on the existing
public mailing lists?  Why should Debian host such private discussions?
It's not in the spirit of the Debian project to encourage such private
forums.  Companies who are not willing to have their discussions out in the
open should take those discussions elsewhere, not have them hosted privately
on a Debian server.

Companies, or their representatives, are as welcome as anyone else to
participate in the discussions which shape Debian.  But what's set up here
seems to encourage companies to direct their energies towards a forum that
is not integrated into the mainstream of Debian, disenfranchising them
instead of empowering them.

Before worrying about changing the mailing list subscription rules, I think
it would be more important for the project to evaluate the results of the
first year's "experiment".  Has the list been used at all?  What has it been
used for?  Have companies been effective in achieving their goals using this
list?

The graphs on lists.debian.org seem to indicate that the list has not seen
much use:

  http://lists.debian.org/stats/debian-companies.png

I don't see how the proposed changes to list subscription policy will help
with that.

Cheers,