Re: Proposal #3: Upstream/Debian Project donations

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM, Manu Sporny wrote:

>> Does this sound like a workable solution?

> I think you should take this to the FreeDesktop lists, Debian is just
> one distro and we certainly can't set cross-distro upstream standards.

I would also encourage you to approach the FSF and ask them about this.
Not only are they one of our more prominent upstreams (particularly among
the ones who do have a clear way to take donations and a clear set of
practices for how they use those donations), but they're also likely to
have opinions on both the legal and social implications.

Those opinions may not be (and probably won't be) unanimously shared, but
they're almost certain to be interesting.

(For bonus points, you could try to convince them to replace the invariant
texts on some of the remaining manuals with DONATE files, thus making
Debian extremely happy.)